Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas to All.....

What a year this has been. I really wanted to send out a family letter, but some how time slipped out of my hands and here we are, the day after Christmas. I have to say that again this year has flown by. It has definitely had it's ups and downs. So here's a recap of this last year's events......

We started by moving homes in March. At that same time, I went into pre-term Labor and was put on "restrictions". What an ordeal that was, having 4 kids in school and a baby that was crawling and exploring the world. I couldn't tell you how many trips to the hospital there were, or long nights timing contractions. By Mid April, Early May, the doctor put me on full bed rest and it was devistating. My sister, who had just gotten home from her mission, came and saved me for two weeks, helping me with any and every need. What a selfless act she gave to her sister. I came to love and appreciate my sister on a level that I didn't know was there. I feel overwhelmed and blessed to have her not only as my little sister, but one of my best friends. Then as she left my Mom came in and was here for three weeks to help out.

The doctor had me on everything to stop contractions, and by the middle of June, my body had started rejecting what was being given to me. My body had had enough and so had I. I think I cried more in this pregnancy then I ever had in my life. By the second week of June, both Gavin and I felt that enough was enough with the medication, and I know longer could handle it physically or emotionally. After consulting with the OB, he agreed and we let nature take its course. I had contractions as usual, however on June 11 we started timing at 5 minutes apart. We continued this until my OB appointment the following day where my OB checked me and sent me right over to have our little boy. Ethan Maxwell Curtis was Born on June 12, as healthy as can be at 5 1/2 weeks early. ( I still believe they were off on my due date)

Two weeks later I braved the airport with Drew, 13 months, Ethan, 2 weeks and myself to fly to Utah. Every one was so wonderful and helpful. We spent two weeks there with family and the last week, Gavin drove up with Jared and Liam and we spent one more week together. What an awesome trip that was. We even blessed Ethan while we had all of my family there.

In the midst of all of this, Gavin decided that he was ready to make a career change and utilize his degree that he worked too hard for several years ago. The process began and books were bought to study for the LSAT....Law School here we come! In October Gavin took the LSAT and by the end of the month the results were in and the letters began to come from schools wanting him to apply to their programs. It was a tough decision, but we felt that in the best interest of our family we stay in Arizona and Gavin was accepted to the Phoenix School of Law in the part time program. He was also given a very hefty scholarship. It is definitely not a top ten University, but being together as a family makes it all worth it for us.

Thanksgiving was quiet and spent with some of Gavin's co-workers. For Christmas we had a wonderful time at Gavin's parents house where the kids got what they asked for....SNOW and LOTS of it. My Mother in Law even called me a couple days before we left and asked that Zoe stop doing the snow dance as it had snowed 2 feet in 10 hours. We had a blast visiting with family and spending lots of time outside playing. Our sweet little pug Piggy wouldn't have anything to do with the snow and we quickly came to the conclusion that she is definitely an Arizona dog!

Zoe, 10, started 5th grade and is doing awesome. Her favorite subject is science. She is in the choir and of course is the best one (I am not a bias parent)! Her favorite event of the year was going to California for Christmas.

Liam turned 8 and was baptized. We are so proud of him for the decision that he made to be baptized. He is in 3rd grade His favorite subject in school is math. His favorite event of the year was his baptism.

Austin turned 7 and is in 1st grade. He is such a joy to have in our family. His favorite subject he says is PE, however he is a very bright little boy and loves social studies. Austin's favorite events of the year were traveling to Utah and California.

Jared also turned 7 and also is in 1st grade. His favorite subject is going to the Library. He is still a ham and comes up with one liners that I didn't know a 7 year old could come up with. His favorite event of the year was going to California for Christmas

Drew, our sweet toddler is 19 months old. His big events of the year consisted of learning to crawl, then walk. Get teeth and learn to say mommy, daddy, and ball. He is a joy to us all and couldn't imagine our family without him. He loves his older sibblings and thrives when they are around. He loves his big "sissy" and can't get enough of her. His favorite event of the year was discovering how to throw a ball.

Ethan is now 6 months old and has a whole world to explore. He loves to smile and be held. He can roll over and loves to bounce in his bounce-a-roo. His favorite event of the year was discovering his fingers and that they can go in his mouth. Oh, and paper. He loves to crumple paper.


Gavin starts Law School in January and we are very proud of our Dad and husband. He will continue to work at Eye Master's as their liscensed optician while he embarks on this new adventure. Gavin's favorite event of the year was not only the birth of Ethan, but traveling to visit our families.

And as for me, well.....what can I say. I have the greatest job of all. Being a mom to 6 amazing children. When I married Gavin, I didn't know what I was getting myself into going from 1 to 4 and now 3 years later, 6. Every day is a new adventure and a new blessing in my life. I have to say that this entire year was one big EVENT.

As I reflect back on this year the one thing that comes to mind is the overhwhelming notion that we have a Loving Heavenly Father that knows us and our needs. He has given us an incredible gift of his son the Savior. We have been blessed on levels beyond belief. I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year!


Gavin and Ashley

2 comments:

Jessica Simonsen Howard said...

Sounds like a fun and crazy year. It was fun to see you this summer. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

Jeanerbee said...

What a busy year you've had! I had no idea about the pre-term labor and all... I'm glad everything worked out ok! I'm so glad I just found your blog too!